Old 03-28-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rosalba

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I think it's legitimate for you to express your concerns, but do you really think it will cause her to rethink it? If not, I'd just let it go.
I doubt she will rethink it, and it really is just a question of me making my views known, affirming myself - and then letting go the outcome.

There was one time, years ago, when she was talking about how she'd gone out and bought him a half-bottle of whisky "Because otherwise he'd only have bought himself a whole one", and I asked her if she was aware that there was a support group for the friends and families of alcoholics. She asked about it, shrugged and said she "didn't like going out in the evenings". I left it, figuring that either she would see the lame duck excuse for what it was, or she wouldn't. I'd said my bit; she had the information and what she did with it was up to her.

Likewise, on one of the rare occasions when my brother admitted to being an alcoholic, I remarked that there was help and support available if he wanted it... and then I left it at that.

There was a time when I used to feel like John Cleese in the following video clip every time I thought about my family, but even that fades with time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU3S14xVTnc