View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
paulokes

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
For me it has been recognizing the "power within me" that I had rendered useless with alcohol and drugs. Those of you familiar with the "chained elephant mindset" know that the grown elephant is not limited at all by his captors, but by his thinking.
My friend absolutely. .that "Power Greater than Myself" turns out was actually already in me. But blocked/disturbed/chained and limited by my thinking. AAs big book even tells me so.

As you brought it up that's why Power Greater than Myself is more substantial for me than a vague and external-sounding "Higher Power". But I ain't gonna explain it any further for you, me or anyone else.

Sometimes I have rephrased it even further...power greater than my limited conception of myself But yep turns out also that it isn't me...or isn't what I had always come to think of as "Me".

In the spirit of unity I think these conversations are great. Perhaps we should always approach them with a spirit of inquisitiveness and learning though.

As an AA "through and through" person I always bristle a little when folks speak to me of what I really believe as an AA person and what AA has told me I should believe. Cos that ain't been my experience. My experience has probably been closer to yours than you might imagine...the rest is semantics )

P