View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
paulokes

Here's what I have found...

To quote the Big Book (4th edition or any other edition, AAWS) "Men of Faith have courage".
I pray. I particularly pray when I have to go do something hard, scary or generally unsavoury that I DON'T want to do, but know somewhere in my heart I probably need to do. I pray for courage, not for a particular outcome. AA taught me how to do this.

I still have only a vague notion of what I'm praying to. AA has taught me that it works regardless.

The old me wouldn't have bought that crap...would have heard someone like me and felt sorry for them...like they were pulling some kind of Jedi mind trick on themselves or had become intentionally stupid enough to swallow the line.

AA allowed me to become more open minded...to find a "Power greater than myself"...which I don't understand...that allows me to do many many things I could never do before. Including not drink. Or cope with formerly impossible life situations with good nature, good humour, and without drinking.

Yep...that language in the book kinda makes it feel like they are just trying to hoodwink you into getting religious...but that still has not been my experience. Personally I think it's just a feature of the time in which the book was written, the origins of the fellowship and the prevailing mood of society at the time.

Who knows and who cares? Men of faith have courage, and heart...compassion. Today I have faith. I am more courageous and compassionate than I have ever been. I am still not religious.

Thank "God" for AA...and the ability to choose my own conception of "God"...

Not choose which other persons conception of God I wanted to take on board...which template I was gonna follow....literally choose and begin with my own unique and personal conception which has grown into something much deeper and more powerful...and much more effective.

P