View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Calicofish
Catch and Release

I'm not sure how many middle age men struggle with alcohol, but I've certainly noticed many middle aged women who are approaching the line of alcohol abuse, if not already crossed it. I've read many reports that alcohol is very problematic for women who are either going through menopause or post menopausal. I really think that is when my addiction kicked into high gear.

I've casually spoke with many of my girlfriends in regards to my stopping drinking and almost all of them admit to drinking too much wine (it's always wine) and wishing they didn't, mainly because they are hating the weight gain. They ask me why I quit, and I tell them for health reasons (which is true). My health was being compromised big time. Most of them cannot not image a life without wine. A couple of them are on sad trajectory because they admit to me they drink a bottle of wine a night - always. I just tell them how much better I feel and hope that some day they will also give it up. All of them use alcohol to cope with stress. It's a huge problem with women.

Many of my friends have no clue the link between anxiety-depression and alcohol. They also do not realize that women are more easily affected by alcohol than men in terms of health problems. I see them struggling and it breaks my heart.

Last edited by Calicofish; 03-23-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Adding a few thoughts.