View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal View Post
Maybe that'll come over time and then I feel like I can honestly say that I "know" that I will never change my mind about it. Although the analytical part in me just frowns whenever I make statements about the future cause the future is unknown to all of us.
You've definitely got some "paralysis by analysis" going on there Kevlar ;-) I had the same problem, both in dealing with my addiction as well as dealing with my anxiety. I kept seeking a tangible/finite solution - a book, a technique, an exercise, maybe even a pill that could FIX me and make the problem go away forever. What I learned, and what i'm still learning is that I have to find a balance where I can simply accept some things just ARE.

For example, am an alcoholic and that's OK...and i don't have to worry about what happens 10 years or even 10 days from now...if I just accept that today I'm an alcoholic that's good enough for me. There are plenty of things I can do to better myself from a physical and mental standpoint today....and that's what matters to me.