View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
leviathan

I don't know if the big inventories are necessary in early recovery. Although knowing yourself and your trespasses might be beneficial, I believe its fine for most of us to work this stuff out after some solid sober time. -maybe first things first. Get the body and mind healthy and then tackle all that stuff...I realize this may be different for those with severe trauma to deal with. I had some trauma, but then just drank myself into more.

My single most important inventory when cleaning up was the benefit/cost analysis of continued using. It was like a slap in the face (in a good way). I even carried it in my wallet for a bit.

All the other stuff like mending relationships and becoming trustworthy again came with continued sobriety and positive intention.

I really am not knocking inventories, but there are some of us who just had to SOBER UP to start growing again. I remember early sobriety and how fragile I was. I had plenty of guilt on my plate and almost shot myself over it. An unflinching personal inventory was the last thing I needed at that point.