View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wholesome

So part of the Refuge Recovery program is writing 2 different inventories. The first is about how you've suffered from your addiction and the second about what you have been trying to avoid by using whatever your DOC was. My therapist wants me to start working on something like this...... I can't seem to get past just reading the questions, gotta say they are some tough questions. Going to be opening up old wounds and buried feelings. Maybe I'll just pick 5 questions a day and work on it before the kids get home from school when I have the house to myself. I've been using that time to do some yoga and meditating so adding 20 min of writing would make sense.

Did any of you folks take an inventory of sorts after quitting? And if so was it helpful?

I grew up in a family where if you didn't use drugs or drink you were the odd one out.... and then I had some trauma as an adult which I dealt with by pouring more booze and drugs on top instead of feeling any of it. But my life is good these days except that I abuse alcohol.... feels like a maladaptation of my past that I need to release. I feel capable of letting it go now, for a long long time I couldn't envision myself without it and I couldn't accept that I would have to give it up. I can today.

This whole post is me procrastinating about working on my inventory! lol