Thread: A bottle a day-
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Hi Mazzuno,

Glad you are back, I also joined in 2012, and it took me a while to finally get it right. I am getting close to 15 months sobriety, and my main source of support was this website.

There are lots of links on here and Dee's about making plans is a great one.

I also tried AA in the past, and it wasn't the right fit for me, there are lots of other options for recovery.

What worked for me was:
Reading and posting on here daily, the monthly classes and the 24 hour thread have been my biggest supports.

Planning other activities for the time I used to drink, especially in the beginning: go for walks, go to the gym, plan a Netflix marathon, take a class...

Reading recovery books

Journaling, Mindfulness, Yoga

Taking alcohol completely off the table, no matter how good or bad the day was. That included holidays, there is always going to be another holiday, making plans for alternate drinks helps.

Get rid of all of the alcohol in your house, have options for other drinks. I love green tea, and also lately have been drinking lots of sparkling mineral water with lime.

Don't take that first drink, play the tape through. Think about how you will feel the next morning when you wake up with a hangover, and nowhere near 100% for family or work.

Seeing your doctor tomorrow is a great start, in addition to the medication you mentioned ask him for other possible supports in your area. If you even get the slightest temptation to drink log in here, there will be someone to talk you out of it.

You can do this Mazzuno, and I promise sobriety is so worth it!!!!

❤Delilah