View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Hi. Glad you're here and sober, and recognising that this is just the start and may take some time.

I managed a month sober on my own, and by the end of that time ever felt I was going crazy. Stopping drinking didn't seem to be making things better. So, in the end I bit the bullet and went along to my first AA meeting - if I'm honest, in the hope that they'd say I wasn't alcoholic and somehow give me some pointers about how to drink normally. Lol. After all, I'd managed a whole month without drinking, so I couldn't be alcoholic right? Besides, it's not like I used to drink EVERY day when I was drinking either.
Of course, they said no such thing, but they did give me some useful information and insight into Living Sober. I don't know what I expected, but I suppose I thought there would be more emphasis on how to actually stop drinking than there was. I was surprised to see that of the 12 steps on the poster, only the very first one even mentioned alcohol.

Like you, I was putting a lot of emphasis on physical recovery, and hadn't paid much mind to the inside stuff. I just thought if my body got healthy and I 'broke the habit', then the other stuff (losing the anxiety etc) would just follow. But for me, and many others, that's simply not the case. It required a shift of thinking that needed some real changes in how I thought about things to happen. In short, I'd stopped my alcoholic drinking, but my alcoholic thinking and feelings (about life and people and myself) was still rampant. I needed a decent recovery plan. Okay, so it still took me a few months of pain and, eventually, suicidal thoughts to push me to the place where I was teachable and willing to ask for help and start listening and learning and actually doing this, but that was what really made a difference to the quality of my sobriety in the end.

For me, AA and the 12 step program (worked with a sponsor) have been a big part of that recovery process, but there are other options. Why not have a good read through the links on Dee's thread and see what things you could try adding in to your day.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB