Old 03-17-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  
badgerden

Happy Saint Patricks day all

Hope you all are sitting down and ready for a story of the greatest, funnest, most inspirational grandfather that walked the planet (if any of you disagree, well come find me, we will discuss ), I bring this up now. as he died 18 years ago today. I morn his death, but I absolutely celebrate his life, it is one that I wish I had the guts to live. Are you familiar with the Mr. Clean commercials? He looked exactly like him, tall and bald.

I spent so much of my youth with him and Gramee, Easter was always entertaining, ( for him anyway) we would dye the eggs and he would hide them for me, and I would bring them to him and when I was looking for others he would hide the ones I brought to him again, so it was a bottomless egg basket. Kept me looking for hours,,, I never caught on. Spent most of my summers camping and traveling with them, so many memories, the best. He taught my how to row a boat, one time we found a net filled with a 6 pack of beer, with a big wink he brought the net into the boat and told me that we wouldn't tell Gramee about the beer, just the net,,, LOL. After we lost Gramee, my Mother got a frantic phone call from a cruise ship, off the coast of Mazatlan Mexico, apparently Gramp was no longer on the ship, he had taken a cruise with his Senior Group and had gotten bored and at one of the stops, jumped ship and went to Reno Nevada. He lived in a small town and it was his habit to walk to town every morning and get the paper and hear any new gossip going around, well when he was in his early 90's ( he lived till he was 97) Mother got another phone call, this time from the local Police. He was caught shoplifting, and he had been doing this for a long time apparently. The store owners didn't know what to do, you cant arrest a 90 + year old man can you? He would steal anything, peanut butter, meat, cookies, just walk down an aisle and put it in his pocket. You know why? He just wanted to see how long it would take them to catch him, he was bored again,,. He stole almost 800.00 worth of stuff, he was SO mad that Mother made him write a check to the store owners. He wanted to spend some time in jail just to see what that was all about. I have so many other stories I could tell, and I am smiling just thinking of them.

Anyway, every St. Patricks day I celebrate his life and the joy he brought me. My hope to all of you is that you have a "Gramp" in your life, it is truly a blessing to have!!

Badge