View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ladybird579

Alcoholism runs in both sides of my family too. Dad was recovered but only in name. His behavior didn't improve. My mother was an enabler, co dependent and control freak. She died last year and sorry to say I haven't grieved for her. Much like my own daughters won't grieve for me even tho I did end the situation but too late as far as they were concerned. I a m estranged from my dad as he is not nice to me if I go and see him and was abusive to me growing up. I don't think me punching him for hitting my mother with a rolled up carpet helped. He never forgive me for not honouring him lol

On my mothers side her grandfather and several uncles were alcoholics. Her mother never drank that we knew of but became alcoholic when she got dementia later in life. Her nursing staff said she drank wine out of the bottle which was a shock to us all and spent her final years permanently drunk. I have a sister and brother who are alcoholics and one borderline. I know absolutely if I let myself I could become one too but I have too much to lose by sliding down that path. I also couldn't take the hangovers.

My ex husbands are both alcoholics. The last exah mother was too, both his sisters and brother is but not his dad. His dad divorced his mother over her alcohol abuse in the 1960's when divorce was rare. Exah cousin died, aged 39, of alcohol related disease last September and his sister's dh died of liver failure, aged 49.

I stopped my children having all contact with my parents and my exes mother and brother until they were old enough to decide if they wanted to see them and also get out the door quickly if they needed too. Some of them got back in touch with them as adults, most haven't.