View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
PurpleCat
Meow

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
AA theology hinges on Step 1, in which the entity of addiction, the primal desire to drink, is regarded as a power greater than oneself -- a higher power in itself. It is on account of this, that alcoholics need another higher power to neutralize it. This is made explicit in Chapter 3 of the Big Book.

In Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, in the chapter on Step 1, Bill Wilson explains that this powerlessness over the desire to drink equates to hopelessness, since there is no way to conquer it by the unaided will. Free will simply does not exist with regard to the consumption of alcohol.:
You hit the nail on the head about why I am not interested in AA. I read the book cover to cover and I cannot buy in to the powerlessness concept. I believe that the only person who can change and improve me is me - I don't think God (and yes, I do believe) particularly cares about me as an individual. He gave me the tools (my mind, my feelings, my logic) and it's up to me to use them. That's why I am using a cognitive behavior change approach.

That said, I think that if AA works for people (and clearly it does) than that is a wonderful thing. It doesn't matter how we get to an end result in regards to drinking, just that we get there. I wish everyone struggling the best of luck in finding what works for them.