Thread: Life long??
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Hi Al

I ended my drinking as an all day everyday drinker. I did that for several years. I'm coming up to ten years sober...

I'm not bothered by thoughts of drinking anymore, I have a great life and I'm very happy.

I've done a lot of work beyond just not drinking and I think that makes a difference.

I didn't start drinking for nothing... and I also had to address those underlying things that 'made' me drink in the first place.

Everyone has moments of struggle. I had an experience a few years back where I was in incredible pain - drinking crossed my mind then one dark night but I had a lot of other options to call on by then - reaching out for help, seeing my Dr about the pain, trying techniques like urge surfing to surf through the desire....

I stayed sober.

I've also stayed sober through loved ones dying, breakups, fears of flooding where I love and other illnesses.

I don't know why people relapse after long periods, but I do know several people here, passed now, who stayed in recovery for the rest of their lives - CarolD, Laurie6781, RobbyRobot and gtgrandpa.

There are others members here too, right now, with many years recovery.

Those are the guys I look to

Lasting recovery really is possible

D