Thread: Life long??
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Daucuscarota

Sober Day #39 after being dependent on wine, daily, for years.

Hi Al31,
Congratulations on quitting smoking and drinking!

I quit drinking before, for 5 years, and after the first few weeks, I rarely thought about it.
Then a severe trauma happened to me, and I thought that I didn't truly have a problem
and that I could just have 1 glass of wine to help me get through what I was going through.
We all know what happened----I was quickly back to the level of drinking that I was at before I quit, and drank daily again for a few more years.

This time I am armed with RR (AVRT) and this site, and I know that will make all the difference in the world.

Exactly 38 years ago this month, I quit smoking (1 ppd) cold turkey, and have never had another puff since. It was the best gift I ever gave myself. I have NEVER been tempted to have "just one" and am not worried about being tempted, because it is not even a consideration---it is out of the question.
I realize now that I dealt with quitting smoking in an AVRT way, without realizing that I was doing so. I believe that quitting alcohol can be done the same way.
You would never tell yourself: "Maybe I don't really have a problem with cigarettes----maybe I can have just one"
because you know that you would be addicted again in no time. Look at quitting alcohol the same way.