View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Originally Posted by Al31 View Post
Well made it through yesterday and didn't drink. I guess if you drink or not, tomorrow still comes anyway.

Anyway I told my best friend I was using this forum. Her response 'you are not an alcoholic'.

Now you've got to understand, her father is a stereotypical cliche alcoholic so that's how she sees them all. Plus I'm her drinking Duddy so no doubt that plays a part in her thinking.

Anyway with her saying that my AV went crazy. But I'm remaining strong!!
Labels are for cleaning products and snack cakes! I don't think it's productive to label yourself. What is an alcoholic? Are you one when you're not drinking? If you are or aren't one, does it matter? I look at it another way- what happens when I drink? Does drinking affect my life in a negative way? Does drinking make me feel good or bad? Do I like myself more the next day or less? Do I make good decision when I drink or bad? Does it affect my job? My relationships? My family?

I drank way too much for around 25 years. Some of my friends also drank a lot so naturally they didn't think I had a problem. But I was starting to hate myself. I woke up feeling like death warmed over, swearing I was done with booze. But as the day went on and I felt a little better I would begin to think about getting a bottle on the way home. I watched the clock creep towards 2:00 am when the liquor stores would close, and I had the sick feeling of inevitability. I knew eventually I would cave in and go get that bottle. What point was there to labeling it?

Ultimately it comes down not to what you are but what you do, your behavior. If your drinking is causing problems in your life and making you unhappy, change the behavior. It's not important to hang a label on yourself.