View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alphabet

Just remember that sinking feeling you got the day after about drinking that beer. Was that the feeling you were going for? Will it ever be any different any future time you decide to pick up? The answer is almost certainly no to both.

My last relapse happened because I just felt empty. I was dealing with a bout of crippling depression that made me feel like a black hole. I didn't care that I had managed to rebuild my life from scraps of the damage I had done through my drinking, that I managed to string together enough days to get to four months sober. I didn't feel anything, and nothing mattered. So I drank.

That was a week of hellish embarrassment that I will never forget. I lost the apartment I just secured after being homeless for months because my roommates didn't feel safe with me around, nor did they trust I was going to get better; I almost lost my job I had just secured after almost a year of unemployment due to drinking; I almost lost my relationship with my partner, who helped me get sober 4 months prior because he couldn't stand to live in a cycle of wellness and relapse.

I took back my life that day, a little over 9 months ago, and vowed that any time I ever started to feel that emptiness again, I would call someone, ANYONE, and tell on myself, because going through that temporary pain was better than losing absolutely everything I hold dear.

A drink isn't worth it. Please remind yourself of this if you're ever in that spot again, because you will never find happiness in that bottle. Only that desperate, sinking feeling all over again. It really does get better, though I can't promise you you won't go through painful times and have cravings. You absolutely will; it's how you react to those times that matters.

And please keep coming back. We'll all be here to help you get over that hill. It sucks to go through, but that pain is not forever.