Old 03-11-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
BullDog777

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Puppies can be a handful - but it's ok to share the load around too?
Hope it gets easier from here BD

D
My wife has been incredibly reassuring and very helpful. She's my rock. I'm very fortunate to have help.

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Best of luck with the new pup! Yep, they can be a handful for sure
thank you!

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
Puppies can be very difficult. Big responsibility.

Funny how at 3 weeks sober the thought of marrying that girl with the 7 kids and moving down to run the cattle farm with her often seems pretty manageable

P
right?

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Might not just be the puppy, though that is the most "obvious" change in your life. One year is a huge milestone. For some it's like, "okay, will I do this forever now?" others it is wow, made it a year and then "thoughts" start creeping in. With all the energy you put towards making that one year mark and then made, it's like, "ok, what's left now"............then its anxiety. Not saying the puppy is not a handful and stressful as we have 3 dogs of differing variety. A year is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations. Create some goals and enjoy a sober life.
Awesome post, and a lot to consider, thanks.

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Been there. I've had dogs all my life, many of them puppies. I've volunteered at the shelter, worked in a vet office, even taught training classes. I knew dogs, right?

Then came Mr. G...adorable puppy from hell. He had separation anxiety, could not be crated, would not be housetrained, never slept, and screamed bloody murder whenever I disappeared from view. I also had three other dogs, two of which had serious health and dementia problems. I found myself googling "my puppy is an *******" in the middle of the night.

After three months of no sleep and never even sitting down for five minutes, I had lost seven pounds, had troughs under my eyes, and tended to jump and burst into tears at loud noises. I then contracted shingles that put me in the ER on morphine.

Good times.

So I really, really get it. Some puppies are just insanely high maintenance. The good news is that he has turned out to be a wonderful dog and we all survived.

But I feel your pain, I really really do.

Sending you a hug.
THANK YOU FOR THIS POST. I REALLY NEEDED TO HEAR THAT.

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I could be mistaken, but what I read there,bulldog, if fear- fear of failure/making a mistake. maybe some pride,too.
what makes me think that is one little thing ya said:
"I just wanna do this right."
ya know, sometimes making mistakes is part of doing it right.
making mistakes is part of learning what works and what doesn't.

also
" surrender some illusion of control i think i have over the situation."
is it control or expectations? maybe yer expecting the new puppy to be like your past dogs?
puppies are like children- its their job to teach us how to teach them.

continued to take personal inventory.........
Very true about making mistakes is a part of learning. I tend tyo be very critical of my decisions. I appreciate that. thank you.
Puppies are like children-it's their job to teach us how to treat them. very wise words.

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Puppies are a handful, no question. And pitties have a lot of energy. Maybe some agility training?
Jon Katz is an author who has written a lot about the dogs in his life. He is into border collies, and some of them have been a real challenge. But he writes with love and humor. Maybe check out some of his stuff. Good luck. Woof.
I'll definitely check it out. I've been using Zak George's training method so far. It takes a lot of repetition, but it does work very well.

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Oh my god, puppies are wonderful but very stressful. I've had two in recovery and both times questioned my judgement. But the rewards are incredible and they grow up into couch potatoes too fast. Enjoy!!
hahahaha...one can only pray.