View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fusion

Zenchaser, I'm glad you enjoyed the meeting, it sounds like a very positive step forwards; particularly meeting folks, instead of isolating.

I used to attend Buddhist monk led meditation courses and meditating sessions. Now I meditate at my favourite spot near a stream, whilst the water flows past, like my thoughts. When I find myself getting tangled up in anxiety creating thoughts, I meditate, letting go of each thought. I always feel calmer afterwards. When I was a drinker I would sit in the same spot, drinking myself into a stupor until I was oblivious of nature and wildlife surrounding me. It was such a waste of part of my life. I'm so relieved that horror is behind me.

I guess that's why I embraced AVRT, I already practised observing thoughts as they arose in my mind, from the standpoint of 'me', an independant observer. Also, once the question of drinking is taken completely off the table, it's easier to concentrate on and address other habits, worries or conditions. You're doing great! 😄