Thread: Sponsors
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Linz805

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Sponsors are just people and have feet of clay like everyone else. It is very hard to pick a good sponsor when you are new too. How do we know who would be best? What experience do we base our choice on?

I knew a sponsor was important and after a week or so I had identified two prospects that I thought would be good. I said to the God I didn't understand that I will ask whichever turns up to the meeting that night. I got a very good sponsor. The other chap drank again a few years later, and died drunk.

The difference was that the one I got had actually recovered through the steps, and knew how to show me the way. You have more experience now. Maybe ask someone who has recovered through working all 12 steps.

Out of curiosity, where did you get to in the steps with your last sponsor?
I got most of the way thru the 4th step before she relapsed so I've been at a standstill. I was hoping to pick it back up but now believe I am going to have to find someone else which is ok! This new one has tons of sobriety so I thought it would be good. I know they are humans just like me so trying to have the benefit of the doubt but when you take on a sponsee I would think you would make yourself available. She was the one that had asked me to call her daily and I was doing my part. Gods got someone out there for me!