View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MicroMacro
Now what?

Originally Posted by Harley1973 View Post
A little over two weeks ago I spent a few days in a detox facility and was prescribed medication to take as needed for alcohol withdraws, and now I have a few people in AA saying I should absolutely under no circumstances take this because they say I'm not truly sober if I'm taking anxiety medication to treat the alcohol problem.
It doesn't matter what they say - it matters what your doctor says. No one gets to declare what makes you sober. That doesn't stop some from trying though. The best thing you can do for yourself when you encounter those folks is nod and move on past them.

AA does not have all the answers, but to some of it's members - it comes before church and the bible. Have you given other programs a chance? You might find a little more open mindedness in SMART or Refuge Recovery.

So long as you are on board with the truth about your addiction to your doctor - that's what matters.

It might be helpful to you to keep this medication info to yourself. It's no one's business. A lot of people speak strongly against mixing medication into sobriety. But that doesn't make them right. It makes them fond of asserting their opinion.