View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Corrae

Whew. Already a lot of good advice/responses.... I'm at work now, and he's at home sleeping (just got off graves)....and I know I need to revisit this with him when I get home.
First--I didn't know that high functioning is a stage, though in retrospect I believe his drinking has gotten worse over the last year or so. He conceals it incredibly well. This is frightening to me...b/c quite frankly I will not live the rest of my life with.....a drunk. Saying that is ugly. It makes my insides crawl with anxiety. He and I have had this discussion before--though not with the result I got today.... Usually he agrees with me, and stops drinking (or hides it better) for a while. Intellectually I understand addiction....emotionally I'm having a hard time. I just want him to STOP....and am having a hard time owning the fact that maybe.....maybe he CAN'T.
Secondly, regarding an intervention....whew, you are so right....it does sound extreme. I am SO not good at this.... What I AM good at is burying my feelings and anxiety about his drinking and hoping it will get better. How's that working for me, huh? Not so well. I don't want to admit that WE have a problem....and I want to make it go away...but I can't do that on my own. His brother lives nearby...and I can speak with him. Maybe you are right... To sit down with family and see if that helps.

You all have no idea how much your words, care and concern are affecting me right now. Thank you.