View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by Gracefor8 View Post
We haven't spoken much the last week. He says he feels indifferent toward me, that he thought it would go away , but it hasn't. I am beyond trying to salvage this relationship at this point. I feel deeply hurt, and at other times just numb by it all. I guess now I just want to understand it all and make some sense of it for myself. Is this normal with an alcoholic? Do they push you away and end up feeling nothing for you?
I think more to the point is that they are sedated and feel nothing. I mean, that's the whole lure of alcohol and drugs - shutting up the brain and blotting out shame, guilt, negative emotions. That's why I continued to drink...to quiet my mind. Once I was drinking addictively, I really had no choice but to drink if I wanted any peace from my racing thoughts and self-destructive thinking. That's what alcohol does, it creates a need.

I always find that complete detachment from an ex is the way to go. Blocked from my phone and email, unfriended and blocked on social media, etc. It speeds up the healing process.