View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

I've adopted the perspective that the desire for alcohol/intoxication, will always be a 'part' of me. But since it is a very specific , discrete desire among many , many others I have( and will have) it is easy to recognize and identify.
The desire for intoxication was born and fed for years( the Beast) and will always exist, but It is only a desire and I refuse to act on, indulge it. The desire can't feed itself, it doesn't have control of my body, It can't drive to the store, pour a bottle or raise a glass to my lips. It exists only in anticipation of the effects , while I( the whole me) exist with all the consequences of how the intoxication will affect my life.
IT speaks to me through my own thoughts and feelings( the AV), suggesting drinking as an option or doubting that I can remain abstinent in the presence of desire. IT has lied since ITs inception, I understand that now and I understand IT will always lie, IT can go to hell , I have permanently cut off ITs supply. Without ITs supply IT is nothing , IT has no motive power, the AV can whine and throw all the tantrums it wants, but I see ITs supply and life's blood for the poison( the kind that affects my mind, body and soul) for what it is and regardless of desire and simply ( admittedly at times not easily) refuse.
Accepting that that desire will never 'unexist', has made it possible to recognize the desire, separate from it and dismiss it.