Thread: Do I owe amenze
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've had court sheets signed for close to 10 years now. Over those years, I've experienced just about every reaction to them possible. My thoughts on the matter:

My "duties" in AA are to carry the message of having a spiritual awakening as the result of working the 12 steps, to help others find a God of their understanding who will solve their problems, to lead tables and keep them on track, to sponsor people who are alcoholic AND want to recover.

As Bill and Bob wrote about rather extensively, it's not my job to carry the message to people who don't want it. It isn't my responsibility (nor even advisable) to try and force our recovery process on anyone.

I'm not an officer of the court. I don't work for a judge. I'm not at AA to enforce court rules in any way whatsoever. The courts have NO authority over what happens at a meeting.

If someone walks in with a court sheet and asks to have it signed so they can leave before the meeting even starts - see me. I'll sign it in a second and send them on their way. Even IF that person is alcoholic, it's not my job to make them stay so they can what.........get pissed off at AA?

Now, if I sponsor that person, we're going to have a talk about being honest and accountable but it's their life to live and IF they are alcoholic, such actions will likely result in enough pain that perhaps they'll become willing to be honest, attend meetings, and work the steps with or without having to have court sheets signed.

Do you owe amends, not my call nor is it anyone's here. That's between you and and the God you made a decision about in step 3. If between the two of you (you and God) you determine those actions are in line with His will......you're good. If you see that they're not..... then of course you owe amends.

Much more simply: This whole thing sounds to me like a perfect opportunity to work the program rather than scout for advice. Do the ABC's on page 60....consider them. Relook at your 2nd step consideration (that God's everything or nothing) and your second step question (that I believe / willing to believe....) Go over your 3rd step decision - is my life on run on self will successful? Am I running my life (or that moment you posted about, for example) on self will? Did I consult God first? Did I make an emotional decision? so on and so forth.....

Now the good part. The 4th step. Chuch that guy's name up in column 1 and do columns 2, 3 and 4. Since it's only 1 resentment, it'll be easy to do some somewhat in depth looking at it with God's help and direction. Then hit your sponsor in a small 5th step with what you wrote and found.

I'll betcha $100 you'll find some really interesting things out.....enabling you to do another 6th and 7th step and by then (likely before the end of 6) you'll know with 100% assurance whether you owe amends or not. If you do, 8 will help you with what you owe amends for because it'll consolidate what you learned in 4 and 5.

The program (ie, working the steps) is a design for living. It works, it really does.