View Single Post
Old 09-04-2005, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
StandingStrong

What's YOUR program?

I think everyone has their own kind of program. Some may insist on going to face to face alanon meetings, some may believe that following the steps in order is the very best approach, - but I think it's more important to find what works for YOU, even if it's not the recommended program or the one that someone else does.
I have my own weird kind of program. Actually, it's not a real program. But I believe that I've come a very long way in my recovery. I'm not the same person I was a few years ago. Others see it besides myself and that makes me feel good about myself. Shows me that I am getting better.
Anyways....
I come to this site.
I have read about everything I can about alcoholicism, and it's effects on people (the user and the non user). I'm much more educated than I ever was about this topic. I've also studied codependancy.
I also read books concerning relationships. (I've mentioned Dr. Harley here before, he's my favorite). I've learned alot about relationships and myself. I'm much better with relationships than I ever was before - with my family, my friends, ah, - just everyone. (this includes the relationship I have with myself)
I am one of those people that seeks to learn. I've always been that way - I have a need to understand things. Saying it's so just isn't good enough for me. So I try to learn why I am the way I am, why this and why that. I look for the root of the problem - not to fix the branches.
My "program" if you call it that is discovering everything there is to know about ME! Learning to set boundaries. Learning to express my true feelings and to express exactly what it is that I need from others and myself.
So while I may not have a complete planned program (the steps of Alanon, I've done and redone) I've added my own things to it. And have tried to come up with something that works for me. Is it working? Well, I'd like to believe so. But I admit I have a long way to go. Then again, I believe a person should never stop growing so hopefully I'll never be done with my program of finding myself.
What about you? What's your program?