Old 03-02-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Anton71

Originally Posted by peacefulintent View Post
Hi All
I would like to join the March group. I have been reading on the forums for more than a month and am feeling solid and secure enough to think I might be able to add some thoughts and would love to be part of a group. Accountability for me.
This is all very new to me. I have been drinking for what seems like forever, well over 35 years.
I have been sober for 12+ weeks. I have to say that the first few weeks are not very much fun, but I took one day at a time. I would commit for the day, and then the next, and the next. The days go by and then the weeks. If it was an awful day, it was an awful day, but time passes. Just because it did not feel good was not a reason for me to give up. It has been hard, but for me, after the first few weeks, it gets so much better! I went from thinking about alcohol 100 times a day to maybe 10 times a day and most of that thinking is in a more positive frame of mind.

Sugarangel: Every time I had a craving I would move. I would walk. Just get up and walk. Down the street, around my house, up and down stairs. I would walk, swing my arms, stretch, move! It helped me. Sometimes I did not feel like it at all, but within a few minutes my mind and my body would feel better. I kept moving and the cravings would pass.

Looking forward to being part of this group. I want so much to be happy and at peace with myself. I think it will be nice to not be doing this alone.
Welcome, peacefulintent!
Great post and congrats on 12 weeks.

Totally agree on dealing with cravings. It's crackers, but sometimes I'll just find a quiet space and do ten press ups - it really helps to get out of your head and back into your body for 30 secs.