Thread: Very Thankful
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
leviathan

Very Thankful

Well, since I have no plans to drink or use tonight, I will wake up 3 years sober tomorrow. It really is a trip to look back and see how much personal growth has sprung from my putting the crap down for good. I was just never going to have peace or become the man I'm supposed to be with the booze and pills...

So how has it been? Early frequent cravings have morphed over time to infrequent reminders that I need to pay attention to my life's balance. I now have the freedom to drive and respond to emergency situations at any time if day.

Other than a little normal age-related wear, I'm more physically fit than ever, and actually enjoy exercise. My sober clarity of thought has partnered with the wisdom of my age, which has me writing a book, finishing my masters and entertaining the possibility of going for the PhD.

I sleep great and even have an exciting dream life. My friendships of old have solidified and my newest clique of recovered Buddhist guys are like brothers.

Tomorrow, like any day, may bring good or bad events. I will face them confident of acting with my best intentions, literally acting-out who I am inside.

Tomorrow I will not wake up cussing the birds for singing. I will most likely not puke in the sink or have a panic attack putting gas in the car. I will not have to appraise my pill situation, or plan how to drink just enough-but not too much so I can pull myself together Monday. I will not shy away from looking people in the eye like an equal.

Thank you all for your support over the last years. You folks are great! I recommend the site to every sufferer I bump into.