View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by musiclady14 View Post
Is there anything more I can do for him?
I'm sorry for what brings your here.

If you do leave, make sure he knows that you are leaving because of the alcohol addiction, and concern for your children, and not because of him personally. There should be no doubt in his mind as to what has brought this about. The addiction will try and shift the responsibility somewhere else, to keep him from looking at the real source of the problem.

If you want closure for yourself, and something more humane than just leaving, you may want to consider offering him a final choice, the alcohol, or the family. Tell him that you know the man you married is still in there somewhere, and that you know that he can step forward and return.

It's best to do that when he is sober, but he may still choose the alcohol.

You mentioned that you are in Al-Anon, but you also know from SR that there are various approaches to dealing with addiction. AA is suitable for some, but not for others, and they will use that as a reason to keep drinking.

Addicted people also tend not to look very far for help. Consider leaving him a list of resources and phone numbers, or even books on alcoholism and recovery, if you have them. Should he change his mind upon further reflection, he won't have to look very far for resources.

I hope this helps.