View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
AlaskaGirl

I have to admit I'm of two minds on this. I see that you posted, in BOLD, that you aren't going to drink on your vacation. I think that's fantastic! If you are committed to that and you have made up your mind, you can absolutely do it.

I know for me that I wouldn't have been able to quit for the first time in that environment. You have already said you aren't going to cancel the trip, which I totally understand. Others will disagree with this, but I'm more in agreement with Rich88. My advice would be to talk to your husband about your concerns. Let him know you don't want to be drunk and hung over the whole trip. Set your date, after your trip, but don't let it be an excuse to throw caution to the wind and binge on your vacation. If you do that you could end up doing what I did on my last trip with friends and end up not remembering much of it.

This is only my opinion. Others here have a lot more sober time and their advice is valuable. I will add that I joined SR when I was your age, it took me ten years to totally commit to never drinking again. You don't have to follow that path. I hope you have a safe, happy, healthy vacation.

EDIT: I'm editing this post without deleting what I originally wrote because I think it's OK to admit I was wrong. I just read all the comments on the second page. I'm excited for you just imagining how great you will feel after a three day vacation relaxing and not putting any poison in your body. You CAN do it, and you will be so happy you did. Welcome to the SR family.