Old 02-21-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Sure one meeting a week is enough if we are living the program. Some really good and practical suggestions above. The key to sobriety in AA is the program, the twelve steps. Meetings alone don't treat alcoholism.

One very effective approach is to start each day an hour earlier and use that time as follows"

20 minutes reading (Big Book), 20 minutes meditation, 20 minutes exercise. I have used this and it sure sets you up for a good day. With that and some step work, and a meeting each week, along with calling in here, you will have quite a lot going in your favour.

I live in a foreign country too, and I would love to have just one meeting a week but there are none and I have not been able to find another alcoholic in the neighbourhood to get one started. So I continue to live in the steps. One that helped me enormously in early recovery was step ten, a step that was easy to understand.

"This thought brings us to Step Ten, which suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along. We vigorously commenced this way of living as we cleaned up the past."

This step helped me avoid creating a whole new mess which would have tripped me up. When I made a mistake I fixed it straight away, before it could build into something destructive.

All the best,