Old 02-21-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

I've done some men's work over the years.

It is quite remarkable how many men are carrying around pain, confusion, trauma related to sexual experiences, sexual shame, sexual perspectives and opinions that eat away at them.

What I can share with you is that without exception what I have seen in men who are finally able (often not until their 50's or 60's) to unburden themselves of these things by sharing them in supportive environments is RELIEF. Carrying the weight in solitude and self-directed shame is destructive.

Not knowing the nature of what it is you carry - I can only share that I'm confident you will find that you are not alone by any means. And sexual experiences, traumas, even desires that don't 'fit the mold' of typical hetero / homo definitions don't MAKE you anything other than human.

I hope you'll find a safe, comfortable environment to share in at some point. Step 5 can be done - I believe - in many ways. Maybe you should seek a qualified therapist or group therapy setting to address this particular part of your step work. Sponsors are great - but we should always remember that sponsors are not counselors, therapists or qualified to appropriately deal with some of what we may need to work through.