Thread: Semantics?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AstridPearl

I sometimes have trouble with calling alcoholism a 'disease' myself, or co-dependancy for that matter.

I think that at times my AH uses this definition to excuse his behavior, to say that he has no control over it. I think that it can be used to justify not controlling your life. Just like my AH does.

Perhaps it is a 'disease', co-dependancy and alcoholism.. like any 'disease' you can't choose whether or not you have it, but you can choose to treat it. It all boils down to choice... Do I choose to act on my impulses of self-destruction or not? There is a choice involved. You may or may not be predisposed to behave a certain way, but that in no way excuses the behavior.(I suppose this is mostly directed to the alcoholic).

I see your point Jennyk, sometimes I get caught up in the Semantics of it myself. I think that the important thing is that you are able to see what actions you engage in that are unhealthy and work on fixing those. Not that you classify yourself as 'diseased'. I am not sure that I agree with that term either, because it is too often used as an excuse to engage in drinking or controlling.