View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
I finally realized today that I have to start the 12 step program with a sponsor. Nothing else has worked for me.
I had five years sober starting 11 years ago. That was on my own. Then I started drinking again.
Over the last 2 years I have sporadically gone to meetings. I even have stumbled onto a place that has meetings all the time. It's a facility that is just for AA and AlAnon. So they have a pretty strong group that is regular.
So here are my reservations.
First of all I just don't like the big book. The way it's written really puts me off. It really annoys me when people treat it like it's the words of God.
Second, I hate the idea of a sponsor. But I realize now that I can't do this alone so I've got to let others into my life in order to make this change.
I've been in meetings where people talk about working the steps even though they may not know why they are working the steps. they say the steps can work anyway.
So that's what I'm going to do.
I figure I better be honest with my sponsor about my reservations.
Being honest with your sponsor about any misgivings you have is a good idea.

Over my years in AA I have found the vast majority of the members are sincere in their efforts to help.

But you should also listen to your instincts. If something strikes you as odd you might want a second opinion.

Two bits of advise I chose to ignore when I joined: 1. I was told not to date for a year. Fine except I was already involved with a woman when I joined. A woman I ended up marrying. 2. An opportunity to better myself career-wise suddenly presented itself. It was recommended I pass. No big changes the first year I was told. I took the job. Still doing the same work today.

Sometimes I wonder if my sponsor actually believed what he was saying or parroting what someone told him.

Anyway good luck! Best thing I did was join AA.