View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nalafo59

In love with a functioning alcoholic

Hi Everyone!

I am hear for some advice. I will start with a background about myself. My dad is an alcoholic. He is sober now and has been for quite some time, but many of my childhood memories are of him drunk, stumbling, and with a bottle of vodka.

Fast forward 10 years later, I fell in love with someone and moved across the country for him. He suffered from severe back pain and was drinking a lot. His family and myself urged him to get a back surgery so that he would not have to live his life in pain anymore. It has been 7 months and the recovery is taking much longer than we expected, but the doctor is still hopeful that he will be pain free one day. I truly pray this is the case.

Where is stand right now is that he starts drinking before 2 and 4 every day and probably drinks on average 10 beers a night, maybe more maybe less. He doesn't get sloppy like my dad did, just talks a lot and is more annoying than anything. I have no way of knowing that his drinking will subside once his pain subsides especially since this has been part of his routine for so long.

I love him and I want to help him through this, but I am terrified that I will live the life my mom lived and that is absolutely not an option to me. I appreciate any help as to how I can approach him and help him.

Sincerely,
Nichol