Old 09-02-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
skinner

This is definately very "familiar" to me. I have a problem though. I divorced my husband BECAUSE I came to realize how abusive he was (not technically physically..........he shoved, threw things, just never actually hit) both emotionally and verbally. BUT, now that we are divorced, he treats me worse than EVER before.
Why do I still have contact with him you wonder..........because we have 2 beautiful little children that we have 50/50 custody of.

So, now that I am no longer his wife, it seems as though he doesn't think I deserve ANY kind of decency. He calls me names that would burn your ears off, he yells, swears, belittles........all that great stuff. And, actually, now he only e-mails, which you would think is great but he does all the same stuff in those as well.

I have become pretty good at just ignoring his rantings as I am quite sure he has some psychological issues, but every once in a while, I can't block it out and it hurts. The trick I have been using...........and that has been working GREAT is this. I remember that I won't always be able understand people, I just need to learn to accept them for who and what they are. This has helped sooooooo much because for so long I kept asking "why is he so awful to me? What did I do to deserve this? How could he treat me, someone he loved for 9 years like this? etc etc". Now, when he treats me this way (which is any time we communicate) I just remember it is NOT me.......it is he, and I will never understand why. I just need to accept it and not let it get to me.

Oh, one other trick I learned to deal with him.........it's called "SoberRecovery.com"..........WHAT wonders this site has done for me, and I only just discovered it a few short weeks ago..........THANK YOU!!! :bravo