View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Hi Sue,

Welcome to SR!! I'm glad you are here. I stopped drinking at 45, after spending a few years prior alternating between periods of sobriety, and failed attempts at moderation. I have been sober for over a year now, and feel better both physically, and mentally.

I also used to think that unwinding with a few (too many) glasses of wine was a way to deal with the stress of work, kids, life. I felt constantly anxious, and drinking actually increased that anxiety.

Sounds like starting to plan for retirement would be a good way to start spending your free time. Maybe you can sign up for a class, start hiking, go to the gym, something to keep you busy during the early days of sobriety.

I completely understand not wanting to see your family friend. However, he/she may already have some idea about your drinking, and would absolutely want to make sure you are healthy. But if you are not comfortable discussing your drinking related health concerns with him/her definitely see a different doctor. If nothing else you will leave with a clean bill of health, and won't need to worry unnecessarily.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!