View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Maudcat

Working with contractors can be a lesson in extreme diplomacy, Expanding. If you get a good one, that is, does what he/she promises, does it on time, and shows up when they are supposed to, hold onto him/her!
We have rehabbed a couple of houses. I have learned that good contractors have a constant juggling thing going on. They send their crews to different jobs because that is the way to make money. Sometimes your job may not be a priority. It happens. It isn't personal.
To get some names, when I needed work done, I would notice whose signboards were out at neighbor's houses, and ask about their work. I also formed relationships with local realtors. They are often a good source of who does decent work. Our most recent GC, who did a lot of work to our house get it ready to sell, was a recommendation from a realtor who also lived in the neighborhood. He was terrific!
When you find someone you are comfortable with, try to be flexible within bounds. Things don't always flow as smoothly as we would like.
Don't get mad unless you really have to. You and your contractor have a relationship for the duration of the work. Try to make it a good working one.
That's all I have. Good luck!