View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
darkling

This entire month is pretty much an "ego binge."

It started on Feb. 1st when 2 friends in my home group put their heads together and made chili for me! [This is a strange but fantastic little meeting and sporadically we have chili before the meeting. To the best of my knowledge, it's never been for somebody before.] Well, they got the date wrong, but that started my birthday month.

I wasn't planning on getting my chip til my home group next Wednesday, but when I announced today was my b-day at a meeting tonite, a friend had a chip for me. It blew my mind. It means so much to me that he remembered the exact date.

All the notes from my new friends here have me sniffling . . . but just a little and in a very good way!

Tomorrow, a non-AA friend is taking me out for Chinese food to celebrate. YES!

My next regular meeting is Valentine's Day, next Tuesday. [more ego stroking]

Wednesday the 15th, is my home group. I think the same 2 friends might be plotting something . . . but IDK. Someone is making cookies for me and I'll "re-get" my chip. I also have my original white chip and 35 cents to be presented with my XXV chip. [For you youngsters, back before cell phones, newcomers were given a white chip and 35 cents to call someone - so there was never an excuse as to why you picked up a drink instead of a phone.]
I'm trying to get my son to come. [That's a long story.]

Friday the 17th, a friend and I will both celebrate 25 years at her home group. There will be CAKE!

FINALLY, I got sober at a meeting house in a bigger city nearby. There's a board where people write their birthday date and length of sobriety. Then on the last Friday of the month [Feb. 24], they have a b-day meeting and we celebrate that month's b-days. I don't get to go back there very often, but I had someone put my name on the board for me. I love this place! It's my home.

But, this is also the place where way too many people told me, for way too many years, that I would never stay sober if I didn't ________. It felt like I was being watched by vultures. Well, I never did _________ and I'm still sober. And yes, there were times that the only reason I didn't drink was cuz I was not going to let them be right. I absolutely LOVE that my name will be on that board all month AND that I'll be there for the b-day meeting.
Yep. Ego and entitlement all rolled into one.

Wow. So this is what it looks like when an alcoholic lets her ego run wild. Who knew?!
Good thing it's got an expiration date!!

Now, if my husband had remembered today was my b-day, it'd have been perfect.
[Hey, I'm entitled to throw a little pity-party in there too. . .]

Thank you for helping me celebrate!