View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
HopeandFaith1

Originally Posted by Pete6256 View Post
Thanks Dee. I certainly hope so.

It's only recently that I've started to take this stuff seriously (I think I've been avoiding the truth for years) that I realize just how bad things are getting. I mean, it's not normal to drink yourself into oblivion at home by yourself on a regular basis, lie to people constantly about how much you drink or ignore the clear physical warning signs from your doctor.

It's honestly not an exaggeration for me to say that I cannot remember when I last went a weekend without getting completely wasted. It must be literally years. But this week I am going to give it hell, and I'm going to try.
No my friend, it's not normal. I drank that way for over 20 years. The good news is you can quit. It starts with just putting the bottle down. I think a lot of people, understandably, get overwhelmed by the idea of stopping, and obsess over every detail. I can tell you based on my own extensive research on the subject that the journey begins with the commitment to not drink, no matter what. Then you must find the tools that will aid you in your own recovery.

I have found SR to be an invaluable resource of support, ideas and suggestions. And of course AA and other recovery programs have helped millions of people. But it starts with you. You just have to put the drink down first. One method that has helped me not pick back up is to play the tape entirely through. I now finally understand, again after years of "research" that I'll never be one of those people who can just enjoy a drink or two. Picking back up for me is an almost guarantee of regret, shame and humiliation, not to mention my own destruction and that of those around me. Those are just a few reasons why I don't drink anymore. If I can do it anyone can. I am sending prayers and positive vibes your way!