View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
MissPerfumado

Welcome! Whatever brought you here was very fortuitous.

15 or so years of heavy drinking, and miraculously I still had a job, still had a life that looked great from the outside, but in reality was teetering on disaster.

I was a long-distance runner, went to the gym, practised yoga regularly, blah blah blah, but I had terrible health problems I concealed: a painful liver, increasingly high blood pressure, strange allergic reactions, hives, feeling fluey all the time, a whole gamut of complaints that I knew were getting worse. I was on the express train to liver failure but didn't want to admit it.

And I was barely holding it together at work, hungover every morning, getting in later and later, an anxious, bad-tempered mess who couldn't concentrate, and paranoid all the time that people were onto how much I was really drinking. It was just a matter of time before it all went south, and I knew it.

I found SR when I began to recognise the severity of my problem. It took a full year for my stubborn denial to completely fall away and then - by some blessing - I managed to find and keep sobriety.

Please don't wait that long. From the point of realisation to the point when you can start to do irreversible damage ... it is not long at all and it can happen in a flash. You are on the elevator going down and the last few stops are the quickest.

Or you can sober up, have a fantastic life and reach the potential you really deserve to - that's the promise of sobriety and for me it has absolutely come true.

Someone in a post before made the observation about what sober functioning is like compared to alcoholic "functioning" - yep, they are light years apart. Stay here and read around, join the community, learn from the great people here.