View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CherryVanilla

Hi -- call ahead and ask of the Rehab what you're allowed to bring. Some allow hard candy, unopened packs of cigarettes, AA/NA literature. You can ask about toiletries. I'm sure he packed accordingly when he entered the program, but you can bring a favorite sweatshirt or a new pr of slippers, something that will make him feel comfortable. I used to bring cards and notes (I didn't seal the envelopes). Everything will be searched. You may be able to deposit money with the counselor which will be held for your son to buy things (snacks, deodorant, whatever) from a supply room or closet. But they won't let you give him money directly, so don't worry about that. The first time we visited our son was very uncomfortable.... you're awkward, you'e probably angry/hurt, you're maybe in the dark if he's not allowing the rehab to share info with you. Just pay attention if they have a family session for the visitors prior. You can get some good info from the counselor who will be leading the group (don't be afraid to ask questions... try to make them general in nature so you're not monopolizing) and that counselor may be able to get your son to allow you "in" on some of what's going on with his treatment. You'll probably meet in one large room, with the other clients and their families, with at least a couple of counselors present and circulating, so you probably won't have a chance to get into conflict. I'm sure they'll step in quickly if that seems like it's building. You could express to the counselor beforehand that you're nervous about that and s/he will keep an eye on your family. Good luck to you!

Last edited by CherryVanilla; 02-06-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: forgot to say something