Thread: The decision
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
August252015

My $0.02....

I don't think the real "issue" here is what we do or how we do it....ONCE the problem has been removed (AA term) or whatever other way you (the individual) has reached the point of complete acceptance of never drinking again.

It is then- and only then, IMO- that "things that used to baffle us or tempt us" (paraphrase BB 4th ed) don't bother us at all. That's the point where I live my life so, no, being around alcohol doesn't make me want to drink. That alone is my choice.

My earlier post and those of others (IMO and how I read them) are that the majority of us who are staying sober (much longer than me, too!) don't enjoy or seek to do the things we did before. Some of us do some of them just fine, and some of us do none.

I do know that in early days- probably the first 100 or so- I kept pretty close to myself and only a couple/handful of others. I wasn't around drinking or opportunities to do so....and that was just right for me. My feelings then were "why put myself around it?" Since then, that part isn't an issue (physical sobriety) but my emotional sobriety plus enjoyment of life and ease of mind....those are my priorities.

Whenever those of us who are sober and remember what our drinking days and early sober days were like, hearing defensiveness and justification perks our ears up for danger. Some call this a strong AV and there are plenty of other ways to describe it. Bottom line, we are reacting to your posts because we KNOW how strong and how SUDDEN a desire to drink can come on- and be acted upon.

Every single thing in my life- person, place, decision, time etc- support my sobriety. Period.

Good luck.