View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
redatlanta

Having been down this road once, take that as your lesson to not walk it again.

Alcoholics are masters of hiding who they really are. You don't know who this person really is to live with, you only know what he is showing you. You can peruse these forms for days and see what living with active alcoholism is like. Of course, you know what it is like because you have already done it once with a binge drinker (who might have also been an alcoholic).

I'm a firm believer that our purpose here on Earth is a series of lessons to improve ourselves and overcome the challenges we each have to go on to a successful, and happy life. Think long and hard about what you are considering here - willingly deciding to go forward into a relationship with an active alcoholic is akin to jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. Recovery is very difficult, if he chose to go that route. For many it is harder than living with the drunk.

Lastly, you have two children that deserve to have a good life sans someone else's addiction. It is not your job to hold this man "accountable", and you cannot anyway. There is no accountability here from you to him, do you really think you can stop him from drinking? Do you think because he called you on his ice fishing trip that because he sounded sober that means ANYTHING at all? He will drink if he wants to whether you are around, or not.

I'd skip this adventure if I were you.