View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Incontrol15

Makes me glad I don't have friends like that. I've been a recluse for more than a decade now. Probably two decades. I don't need to worry about that stuff.

I can say, however, that I have put myself in more situations where I am with people who are drinking casually. Its tricky because I don't know these people that well. Having a few drinks on my own would make it so much easier for me to socialize. That's where most of my urge comes from.

Most of the time, I am able to reason with myself. I question how alcohol makes it easier to talk casually with strangers. What I do drunk, I can do better with clarity.

I change the thought process. Instead, I practice socializing. I put fears aside and just walk up to strangers and introduce myself. I'll make a game out of it in my mind.

Keeps my thoughts focused on the now and what I'm doing, Instead of what I wish I could be doing.

As far as how I address not drinking... I'm lucky I guess in that front. I am perfectly comfortable saying I don't drink alcohol. For some reason, I feel better saying the word alcohol too. Just to be clear..lol. This is for social gatherings outside the work group.

I don't expect to be questioned about it. The high majority of the time, they don't question me anyway. For the ones who do, my replies depends on the personality and how long I've known them or plan to see them again.

Overall though, I'm pretty quick to admit I had a problem. So many people have problems it's crazy. I'm assuming everyone I talk to has a problem of their own that they'd like to conquer. They WISH they could be me.

I also assume most people has/had someone close to them where alcohol or drugs was a problem. So I know they would look at me in a positive light.

Out of 10 people, I bet 6 or more of them don't care, or think it's awesome, that I don't drink. More than half the people means I'm playing the odds right.

Sometimes after I say I don't drink, this stranger and I will chat for a few minutes about something relevant. Those are the peeps I'd rather be with anyway.

For the few people who may have issue with alcoholism or don't believe it's possible, half of them don't ask questions. They might do a double take. Or maybe express some unfavorable body language. Maybe a certain look. I just don't want to be with them anyway. Might hang for a min to be polite. Maybe try to learn what interests them to see if there's something that interests me as well.