View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Centered3

[QUOTE=shortstop81;6307759]
Whether or not you agree with the term 'allergy' is besides the point. I know for *me*, I don't react the same to alcohol as normal drinkers do, PERIOD.
If you don't have the "allergy", it doesn't mean you will never have it. You might not have it "yet". Alcoholism is a progressive disease.

You might just be a "hard drinker", and if that's the case, then the problem could be just the alcohol and not alcoholism--but only you can determine that.

sweetichick - by no means do you have to use AA for your recovery. But if not AA, what then? I learned the hard way after over a decade of trying to quit that I needed to open my mind. I was stubborn, cynical, and far too intelligent for all this recovery-nonsense. But after a decade of trying to quit - where had all that gotten me? Right back into the bottom of a beer bottle.
Many of us had this experience too but maybe the key word there is "experience"....

[QUOTE]
The act of putting the bottle down isn't difficult. But the breaking down of the ego is the real work of recovery.

I know I was awful at taking advice, and I had to learn all the hard lessons myself. But I hope that some of what people have said here will help you.
Well said.