View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
theDipsomaniac

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to try something else. I don't even believe in the doctors opinion that we have a physical allergy. I believe it's all mental why we drink. I can't handle the AA copulticook they say. I know heaps who have stopped drinking just because they had to. Smart sounds good.
Being an inquisitive alcoholic, I needed to know. So, I went to a source which never fails me: Webster’s dictionary. I looked it up and it states: “An allergy is an abnormal reaction to any food, beverage or substance of any kind.” An ABNORMAL REACTION!

I tried to see where I was abnormal when it came to alcohol. To my amazement, I didn’t know what was normal or abnormal. For me to find out, I had to go to those ‘normal people’: the nine (9) out of ten (10) people considered to be ‘normal, socially moderate, temperate drinkers’ …Those who drink alcohol and do not get in trouble with it.

I asked if they would describe to me what happens when they take a drink. They said they get a warm comfortable relaxing feeling after one or two drinks… and they don’t want any more for the rest of the night. I don’t feel that way when I drink. I don’t understand a warm, comfortable, relaxing feeling. I get a ‘get up and go somewhere and do something’ feeling. I think it is one of the reasons I love to drink. It makes me feel different than it does for a normal social drinker. They said something else that absolutely amazed me. When they have two (2) or three (3) drinks, they get a slightly tipsy, out of control and the beginnings of a nauseous feeling. They don’t like that tipsy, nauseous feeling, so they only want one or two drinks. Today I realize that is a normal reaction to alcohol.

ALCOHOL IS A TOXIC DRUG. It is a destroyer of human tissue. Normally the mind and the body, when you put something in it that is going to destroy it, will sense what’s there and react by wanting to “throw it up” and “get it out”. The normal reaction to alcohol is a nauseous feeling in the body. My physical reaction, instead of nausea, is a craving for more of the same. That is a physical craving and it is so strong that it overcomes the ability of my mind to stop me after I start. I react entirely abnormally. The difference between normal and abnormal is: the majority of people
(nine (9) out of ten (10) people) don’t get the physical craving.

We react abnormally in two ways: 1) It makes us feel different than normal people; and

2) It produces the phenomenon of craving. That physical craving ensures we will continue until we get drunk every time we take a drink.