View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mentium

I just had a thought about this issue while I was out for my evening dog walk.

I got to wondering whether anxiety is more severe for me when drinking vs when sober. I concluded that without doubt it is far worse when drinking in my case. As someone who only drank in the evenings my days would often be full of it. Obsessive anxiety at times over things I have no control over.

Now that I am not drinking and intend to remain so there are anxieties of course - perhaps more than the 'average' person - though I don't know of course.

The key difference - and it may well be one reason relapsing is so common and so easy - is that when drinking we can get more or less instant temporary relief from it all. I know I did. After the first glass or two of wine every evening the troubles and anxieties of the world seemed to evaporate. That feeling has quite a pull!

Sober, I may still be a relatively anxious person but after 13 days now my average overall level of anxiety already feels much reduced..though not as much as I want it to be - but there is no instant remedy any more. The cost of that remedy is just too high!

Talking of which I started meditation today - something I first did many years ago. Felt good!