Thread: When enough?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hopeforme2014

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
This is often repeated, but it is simply not true. It is just the addiction talking, kicking the can down the road. If it can't prevent you from quitting, it will try to delay quitting for as long as possible.

"Don't quit drinking, not just yet, maybe if things get really bad" it whispers, "and you're not as bad as that drunk driver," it adds, right?

If you can't picture life without alcohol, then you are dependent on it, which is not necessarily bad per se, if it does not negatively interfere with life.

If you drink against your own better judgement, however, at times when you know, or suspect, that you should not be drinking, then you are probably addicted. The same is true if you keep drinking in spite of negative consequences, or if you keep looking for ways to keep drinking without getting into more trouble.

Dependence may cause big problems eventually, but addiction certainly will cause big problems. It is just a matter of when, not if.
Wow...Wow....I just keep reading this post and the others in this thread over and over again and it's so profound...this merry go round of drinking...then doing reckless things then waking up being hungover...then feeling shame and remorse and telling myself my spouse my kids ....never again....then maybe a couple of days go by and doing it all over again....even I get sick of hearing myself say sorry!!!!