Old 01-23-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hodor

Hey Matt,
Lots in common with your story. Come from South Aus Hiding the alcohol, hitting the same drugs as yourself. It only got worse and worse for me to the point where I was nearly losing everything.
I'm about a year in, my path took me to AA. I was able to stay sober from alcohol immediately, but I couldn't stop self medicating with all sorts of other drugs. I was convinced that I needed sleeping tablets, or valium or anything else I could get my hands on, mixed with high dose prescription anti depressants. About 3 months in I met my current sponsor, and with his guidance and the help of my doctor and the program I handed it all over and have been almost entirely free of the drugs and alcohol for the remainder of the year.
I found it was becoming just as much of a burden to manage the drugs as it had been with the alcohol. My dishonesty to myself and my partner was a real challenge to overcome, I thought I knew exactly what I was doing but I was making myself more and more mad with the cocktails of drugs. They were really affecting my mental health, changing my mood and making me lethargic or unable to take much in. That and managing a constant second schedule of what I was hiding and where I was going to get it was just exhausting.
You are on the right path here, and with the help of your medical professionals and the resources you can find here you are taking great steps forward. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any support. I wish you all the best mate!