View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Incontrol15

SG
I was talking to my fiance about it too. My only reserve really is the class of people that show up aren't my kind of folks. I've been to a few early on. Just a different crowd.

The trick, I believe, is to attend several meetings so I can find a group thats a good fit. I should do that too. Nothing but good would come out of hitting several meetings. Nothing but good.

Like you, my schedule is so screwed up though, that if I did find a meeting I like, I wouldn't be able to hit it consistently. So I'm holding myself back because of that too. Even though that's a silly excuse.

I did find a couple SMART meetings in my area. That's probably going to be a better fit. I picture less people forced to go because the courts made them go. I picture higher educated folk. And I picture folks who aren't as desperate and live relatively normal lives.

Given my fascination with psychology overall, I can see myself buying into that program a whole lot more.

Although, I do feel the 12steps are very important. They may not all be necessary to quit drinking, or even to stay quit. But I've come to believe strongly, for me at least, all 12 steps are necessary for moving on and living a happy / guilt free life.

I'm sure SMART has a similar process.